Ailalá-Ailalelo, whose name is found in traditional Galician folk songs and which means happiness (think of a variant of “Olé!), is a relatively new project, a collaboration between three expert winemakers situated in the most ancient valley in the Ribeiro DO, the Avia valley. The young oenologists behind the wines are Xosé Lois Sebio, Inma Pazos from Coto de Gomariz, and Miguel Montoto, owner of several small vineyards in the area and Inma’s husband. Together they have created two wines, a white and a red,that express the incredible terroir of the region. Sábrego, the local name for the soil here, a granitic base with a mixture of sand and clay, lends a fresh and approachable style that is reflected through the biodynamically-farmed vineyards. These are remarkable wines at a fair price that show the historic potential cool-climate Spain.
This wine is 85% Sousón, with the remaining 15% a blend of Ferrol, Brancellao, and Caiño Longo. Souson is known for its bracing acidity. This wine was co-fermented via spontaneous fermentation in stainless steel, followed by only four months in used French oak. It’s vividly fruity – with plum skin, blueberry, cherry and raspberry notes. Incredibly fresh and balanced.